At Unforgettable Smiles in Westmont, our dentists provide the quality care and compassion you deserve at a price you can afford.
What are dental crowns?
Dental crowns are customized caps that bond to the top of your existing teeth. They can be made of many materials, including porcelain, ceramic, metal alloy, or composite resin.
Compare and contrast your dental crown options:
- Porcelain and ceramic crowns: These two options look the most like natural teeth but may not last as long as other types of crowns.
- Metal alloy: Long-lasting and durable, these crowns are made of gold and other metallic compounds, such as silver, platinum, copper, or tin.
- Porcelain-metal fusion: Stronger than standard porcelain crowns, this option gives you both longevity and a natural appearance.
- Resin: Composite resin crowns were designed to be a more affordable option with the look of natural teeth. They require proper care to extend their life.
- BruxZir®: Made from high-quality Japanese zirconia, this option gives you natural shading for a realistic appearance.
Why dental crowns?
Dental crowns can be used for many purposes, including protecting and restoring the look and function of your teeth after years of use, closing gaps in your smile, holding dental bridges in place, preventing mouth nerve damage, replacing worn fillings covering chipped or broken teeth, and improving mouth feel and function.
Getting a crown is a quick process that starts with taking an impression and sending it to a lab where your personalized crown will be created. While you are waiting, a temporary cap will be placed over the injured tooth. After your crown is placed, it only requires standard dental care. With proper maintenance and being mindful of behaviors like teeth grinding and jaw clenching, you can expect your crown to last for approximately a decade.
Chat with Westmont’s dental crown experts!
If your smile and mouth function have worn down over time, dental crowns are a solution that can significantly improve your appearance. To see if a crown is right for you, or to learn about other options, call Westmont’s own Unforgettable Smiles at 630-655-0240 today.
A dental crown is a restoration that replaces the top part of the tooth. A single tooth that needs to be completely replaced can be restored utilizing an implant-supported crown. The crown is typically made of porcelain, giving the restoration a natural look.
If you suffer a cracked or broken tooth, your dentist is likely to recommend a crown, a custom-fitted cap, to cover it and restore the tooth's shape, strength and appearance. Traditional crowns, when cemented into place, fully encase the entire visible portion of a tooth that lies at and above the gum line.